Thursday, May 10, 2012

Bottom is painted!!!

It was a truly magical moment...

After three good solid coats of Baltoplate bottom paint, four coats on all leading edges, today was the day that I got a glimpse of what Mayhem! will look like when she's finished. Although the color of the bottom will change once it is sanded and burnished, the smooth lines and sleek appearance are starting to shine through.

While I waited for my final coat on the spots where the fore and aft trailer pads were, I started taking the tape off ever so carefully. Thankfully, I didn't lose any paint or have any tears or anything. It turned out TERRIFIC.

After I got all the tape off, I started taping again. This time, I'm prepping the toe rail to be painted this weekend. I tell you, no rest for the wicked!

Vioala! It is starting to look like a boat again!

After some wet sanding and burnishing, that reddish brown bottom should look slightly more gray.

Beginning to tape off the toe-rail for paint. I kinda like the blue/green stripes at the toe-rail. It could be a seahawks theme.
I feel like I am headed on a gentle downhill slope to completion. Assuming there are no unexpected disasters, I feel that I am pretty well prepared for all the steps remaining.

No comments: