Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Painting the bottom...

Well... after another failed attempt at using my cheap HVLP sprayer to avoid sanding, I rolled on two good coats of Interlux Baltoplate bottom antifouling bottom paint today. Before applying the bottom paint, I had to completely sand the barrier coat Interprotect 2000e smooth. Once that was done, I took the boat outside and blew off the boat and trailer, then washed it all down with Interlux's special solvent wash.

A few observations...

1) I hate sanding more than anything... Period.

2) Baltoplate is ugly. It is a strange bloody stool brown color. It is supposed to burnish into a metalic gray, but I'll believe that when I see. Then again, I didn't buy this high dollar, high speed paint for its appearance.

3) Putting time and effort into prep will result in a much nicer paint job. With the exception of a few spots, which only I know about, the barrier coat and bottom paint went on perfectly. Anyone contemplating a project like this should take whatever time estimate you're thinking, triple it and add a week... and don't hold your breath.

4) You tend to be much more careful preparing paint, pouring paint, applying paint and cleaning up when it retails for $300/gallon! (in fact, I spent $5 on a snug fit pour spout top for the gallon container)

5) I hate sanding.

So my list of things yet to do continues to dwindle. As previously mentioned, I am not quite done with the bottom paint. I plan to put one more coat on, then I'll sand/burnish to finish it. I hope to be done with the bottom completely by Friday night.

My "best laid plans" moving forward are as follows

5/12-5/14 Spray out the cabin interior with 545 Primer, Awlcraft topcoat. (following my own advice regarding time planing above, I assume this will likely take me all week... but hey, I am an optimist.)

5/15-5/16 Paint toe rail.

5/17-5/20 tape off non-skid and apply Kiwigrip non-skid to decks and cabin sole.

5/21-5/27 Random crap that I can't think of right now that will need to be done.

5/28-6/3 Bed all hardware, stanchions, and reattach all wood trim.

6/4- RELAUNCH.

As I said, this is an optimistic timeline. I'll continue to work on this every night until I finish. Then I am going to launch it and throw a party!

Such a pretty boat. I love it. Ready to move it out and clean up.

After applying 5-6 coats of Interprotect 2000e, I sanded it smooth and prepared to apply bottom paint.

Sanding the rudder smooth. After sanding the hull overhead, laying this baby down on the workbench was like a walk in the park... a very dusty park.
With Craig and his tractor's help, I rolled the trailer and boat out of the shop so I could clean up the shop and blow off the trailer and boat.


This is about the most expensive pile of dust around. I estimate about $30-$40 worth of Barrier Coat found its way onto the floor via some 80grit and my ripped elbows and shoulders.


Once I blew off the trailer, I set to washing down the bottom with Interlux special solvent 216.

It was a bit breezy when I rolled out of the shop. My 1mil plastic was blowing around like a... well... like a sail.
Supposedly this stuff burnishes to a metallic gray... we'll see.

Here it is, Interlux Baltoplate Racing bottom paint. Good $tuff.

Midway through my first coat of Baltoplate. You can see the "attempt" at spraying on the plastic above the waterline on the port bow. Once I gave that up, it went on quite nicely with the roller.

This certainly isn't the worst "coating" that I've had over the last four months, but it did get a bit closer to my eyes than is generally recommended. Oh well... it washed off and I was no worse for the wear.


No comments: