Saturday, May 19, 2012

Toe Rail Painted

When we bought Mayhem! (then called Warsawa), the toe rail was a little bit of white, a little bit of black, a little bit of blue, and a lot ugly. This, like everything else on Mayhem! was sand and cleaned, sanded and cleaned until it was relatively smooth, loose paint was removed, and it was for the most part ready to have new life atomized and sprayed onto it. When priming the hullsides and the topsides, it was decided not to mask the toe rail and establish a decent base coat over the sanded alumunim on which to apply a nice black top coat.

I am not quite sure why, but for the Toe Rail I decided to go with a one part paint. Based on the recomendation of the guy at the paint booth at Fisheries Supply in Seattle, I purchased Interlux Brightside. It went on relatively easy with my HVLP sprayer and 1.8mm tip, thinned about 15%. Although it has cured relatively hard, there were some scuffs caused before it had totally set up and even since then, it has not taken my rough and tumble ways up and down the ladder all that well. I believe I may soon regret using a one part paint for the toe rails when the paint rubs off. Oh well. If it rubs off, we'll just have to "anodize" it next winter when it comes out again.

The end result is an excellent looking toe rail that really finishes off the hullsides of the boat quite nicely. Once the non-skid is down on the topsides, the final piece should be in place for the exterior of Mayhem!. Other than all of the hardware of course.
Getting everything masked off and covered in plastic so I spray the toe rail.



I wasn't quite done masking yet, but I do like the "seahawks" colors of tape I used, It got me thinking about an absolutely wild paint scheme. Fortunately, my better sense has prevailed and we'll stick with the classic white hull.

I had to be sure to completely cover my newly painted hull sides and bottom. at $300+ per gallon, the baltoplate must be defended at all costs.

Toe rail is all masked off and ready for cleaning and first coat.

All the shiny Awlgrip topside paint is covered so it stays shiny!

After one coat... not too bad!

After second coat... looking good! One more and that should do.

Third coat is sprayed and set overnight. The enxt day when I come back, I have to score the edge of the tape so it releases without tearing.

It is a good thing I used plastic... before I sprayed, this plastic was completely clean!

Masking wasn't terribly difficult for the toe rail... it wasn't terribly easy either though.

Finished! Tape off, looking good.

Like with most things in life, it isn't perfect. I know of a couple small steaks, but for the msot part, it is great!

No comments: